Aadhaar is a unique 12-digit number issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI). You need to keep it updated so that it can serve as a valid proof. The address on your Aadhaar card can be updated both offline and online. For it, Aadhaar card holder can provide any of the valid address proof documents from the list of 44 documents, that are mentioned on UIDAI’s website. Some such documents include Passport, Rent agreement, bank statement or passbook, driving license, telephone bill, electricity bill, water bill, voter ID card, to name a few.
Only those individuals whose mobile numbers are registered with UIDAI will be able to do it. Here is a step-by-step guide to update your address online:
1) Visit Aadhaar Self Service Update portal.
2) If you have the valid documents, then you can update the address by clicking on the ‘Proceed to update Address’ tab.
3) Enter the details, upload a valid supporting document and Submit.
4) In case, you do not have address proof. You can still update your address online with the option of address validation letter.
5)’Request for ‘Address Validation Letter’ is a four-step process
-Resident initiates request
-Address verifier consents
-Resident submits request
-Use secret code to complete
6) If you are using a rent agreement as a address proof, then the rent agreement should be a registered one, and in your name.You need to scan all pages of the rent agreement and create a single pdf file before uploading it on the UIDAI website.
Updating address on Aadhaar card by visiting Aadhaar enrolment centre
The address on your Aadhar card can also be updated by visiting your nearest Aadhaar centre. You need to carry valid and original documents for updation at these centres. Original documents will be scanned and handed back to you.
Updating address through Aadhaar app
The address can also be changed or updated through the mAadhaar app on your mobile. The new mAadhaar app is available for both Android and iOS users.